Saturday, March 14, 2015

Introduction


     Welcome to my blog called Countin' Chickens: The Life of a Backyard Farmer. My husband Clayton and I live in a small town called Hallsburg just outside of Waco, TX, on 1.25 acres. We call our farm the Bar Rafter C, which when drawn out looks like a lazy K over a C (our initials). We only have a few neighbors and the rest of the land around us is cattle pasture (unfortunately that part isn't ours). I have to say that we are truly making the most of our little plot of land. We keep 28 chickens, 2 horses, 2 dogs, 3 barn cats, 2 inside cats and the occasional butcher pig or two. And if we're up to only me would probably have a couple goats as well! Every single one of our animals is spoiled rotten, but then, why shouldn't they be?! 

    Along with our many animals, we also love to grow a vegetable garden. We almost always plant so much more than we can eat and enjoy sharing the wealth with our friends, family and neighbors.  With the surplus, we can it and/or freeze it to enjoy throughout the year. Cooking is something that I am passionate about and gardening definitely feeds that passion.

     Many of you know that I put out a status on Facebook requesting help naming my blog. Now that I'm started, I thought I would explain why I chose the name I did. I had many great and creative suggestions to consider and in the end, I decided on Countin' Chickens... So much of what we do here on our backyard farm revolves around counting our chickens in one way or another, and when we end our days we do it by counting all of our chickens to make sure everyone is safe and sound. But, I also wanted the name to reflect that we don't just raise chickens and chickens won't be all that I blog about. So, the name Countin' Chickens: The Life of a Backyard Farmer was born.

    I will be posting weekly, chronicaling my life on our backyard farm. Things I've learned in the process of raising our many animals, recipes, how-to's, product reviews and stories of our animals and other goings-on on the Bar Rafter C will be what you find here. Please follow my blog and share it with your friends and family who you think might enjoy it as well.

I hope that y'all enjoy!! ❤️🐓

4 comments:

  1. I loved it! I can't wait to read your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the read! Will look forward to other posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited you've started blogging, yay! I'm anxiously following your backyard farming adventures 😊

    ReplyDelete